The ‘Northumbies’ are very special, sponsored awards made especially for Northumberland Day by hugely talented local fused glass artist, Helen Grierson www.helengrierson.co.uk (as pictured in the slideshow).
These stunning, handmade awards include references to both Northumberland’s flag, and its heritage and natural beauty, and reward those who have made an extra-special effort to celebrate the special county day.
If you wish to be in the running for a ‘Northumbie’ please make sure you make your activity known to the organisers of Northumberland Day by emailing NDay@catapultpr.co.uk Categories for 2018 (subject to sponsorship being achieved for all. Entry closes on June 7 and an awards evening will be staged at Langley Castle Hotel on July 5.
1. ‘Best Community Involvement’ – sponsored by The Angel of Corbridge
This award is for the event that best involves its local community, creating a sense of pride, togetherness and the feel-good factor
2. ‘Best Dressed Village or Parish’ – (available for sponsorship and only open for entry if a sponsor is found)
This award is for the village or parish that makes the most effort to decorate itself with flags and red and yellow bunting, flowers and other Northumberland-focused decorations
3. ‘Best Designed Event’ – sponsored by Helen Grierson
This award is for a well-thought out, multi-faceted event especially created to celebrate Northumberland Day
4. ‘The Jill Bradbury Award for Most Inspiring School’ – sponsored by Catapult PR
This award is for a school in which teachers and pupils go the extra mile to demonstrate an understanding of Northumberland, past and present, and pride in their county. The school should ideally include parents and members of the community in their activities
5. ‘Best Foodies Event or Initiative’ – sponsored by Langley Castle Hotel
This award will go to the food-focused business that creates something extra-special to celebrate Northumberland Day
6. ‘Most Passionate Pub, Restaurant or Café’ – sponsored by Hexhamshire Brewery
This award is for the hostelry or eatery that embraces Northumberland Day and celebrates it through a programme of activities, or a one-off event
7. The ‘Just the Ticket’ Northumbie Award – sponsored by www.justbookitnow.com
This award is for an event or programme of activity that might not necessarily fit into other categories, but which really conveys the essence of Northumberland Day and what it stands for in terms of passion, pride and community.
8. ‘The Above & Beyond Special Recognition Award’ – sponsored by Newcastle International Airport
This is an award celebrating dedication, enthusiasm and special achievement. It is not available for open entry and will be awarded by the Northumberland Day judging panel. If you wish to nominate someone else, however, nominations will be accepted at NDay@catapultpr.co.uk
Any business wishing to sponsor a ‘Northumbie’ Award should email Jane Hunt on NDay@catapultpr.co.uk to request more details.
Last year’s winners:
Haydon Bridge Village;
Newsham Primary School, Blyth